FOCUS 3 represents the 3rd generation FOCUS vehicles in the family of ROTV systems designed, developed and manufactured by MacArtney.
FOCUS 3 is the result of more than 25 years of constant product development and customer feedback. The design philosophy of the FOCUS 3 system remains the same as for the rest of the MacArtney ROTV systems: to provide a robust, easy-to-use, accurate, steerable, open and flexible instrumentation platform which can be deployed for a wide variety of underwater data acquisition and inspection applications.
The FOCUS 3 vehicle is constructed using carbon fibre technology for the wing sections like the successful FOCUS 2 and TRIAXUS vehicle designs, whereas the instrumentation pods are made from anodised aluminium, making them more durable for potential impact with the seabed. The instrumentation pods are bolted onto the wing sections through a modular design, allowing for onsite repairs of the vehicle in case of an accident.
The modular design of FOCUS 3 includes the option of increasing the wing sections allowing for operations at depths of up to 1,000 metres. Increasing the size of the wing sections also makes more space available for installation of more sensors on to FOCUS 3.
FOCUS 3 can operate a number of acoustic survey sensors and instruments simultaneously ensuring maximum usage of ship time.
The GUI is an easy-to-use Windows-based software package. The system is designed to carry a broad range of sensor packages from leading manufacturers of underwater equipment.
- Side scan sonar
- Multibeam sonar
- Synthetic aperture sonar
- Mechanical forward-looking sonar
- Mechanical scanning profiling sonar
- Subbottom profiler
- Video camera
- Laser line scan camera
- Fibre optic gyro
- Inertial navigation system
- Bottom tracking doppler log
- Responder for USBL
The 1,000 metres rated FOCUS 3 features
- Carbon fibre wing sections
- Instrumentation pods made from anodised aluminium
- Neutral to heavy trimming in water
- Extended wing sections
- Increased payload capacity
- Pressure vessels with higher pressure rating
- Internal and external cargo rails
Other features and benefits
- Very stable, steerable instrumentation platform
- Operating depth of 1,000 m at 5 knots
- High and flexible payload capacity
- Online data acquisition
- High data transmission capacity; tens of GB
- Software controlled steering functions
- Built-in standard control sensors
- User-friendly controls and displays
- Modular, rugged and streamlined design
- Low noise magnetic and acoustic signatures
- Quick-change of sensors
- Proven cost-effective survey tool
- Pipeline inspection
- Large area searches and MCM
- Site surveys and seafloor mapping
- Cable route surveys
- UXO detection
Standard vehicle control sensors
- Attitude sensor
- Depth sensor